Skip to main content

Challenge Penticton Race Report

So it is October 2nd and I am updating my blog after giving it a long rest.  

After my training camp in July, I regrouped, reviewed my training and racing plans for the remainder of the year and refocused on my goal of Challenge Penticton.  

Needless to say, this took a lot of time and effort.  Training for any endurance race takes a lot of time and training and an iron distance race is no exception.

Here is my race report, better late than never.  It is a bit choppy and detailed around nutrition

______________________________________


Wake Up - 3:15am

Pre Race Breakfast:
  • 2 hard boiled eggs
  • Large White bagel with natural PB
  • 1 banana
  • 1 500ml bottle IMPerform
Race Start 6:35am

Swim:  1:13:44

Nutrition:
  • none
Morning was warm but windy.  Choppy on the water but no whitecaps.  Felt the chop on the way out. Sighting was challenging with the swells.  Eased up on the way back a bit.  Swam alone, the whole time.  Started at the front of my wave (40-44 M/F) and stayed there for the whole swim.  Caught up to the wave in front but no feet to follow.  Left the water feeling like I had not over worked myself but still had a strong swim.

T1:  5:36

Bike:  6:50:22

Nutrition
  • 3 Power Bars (660 calories/540mg sodium)
  • 6 Power Gels (660 calories/1200mg sodium)
  • 3 H2oPro tabs (no calories/1500mg sodium)
  • 2 750ml Bottles of Heed (200 calories/80mg sodium)
  • 2 500ml bottles IMPerform and Carbo Pro (720 calories/760mg sodium
  • 2 750ml bottles IMPerform and Carbo Pro (860 calories/1140mg sodium)
  • 4 salt tabs (660mg sodium)
  • 1 Pocket Fuel (200 calories)
  • TOTAL CALORIES - 3300
  • TOTAL SODIUM - 5850
I felt like I executed my bike nutrition plan well.  Ate at a regular pace throughout the ride.  Stayed well fuelled  and hydrated. I stopped to use a port-o-potty 2x and had a back tire flat on Richter Pass.  Both of those combine cost me 12 minutes.  Mentally and physically, I felt good the whole ride.  There were tough spots and low points but nothing of note.  Even the out and back was good.

T2:  4:47        

Run:  5:14:04

Nutrition
  • 6 Power Gels (660 calories/1200mg sodium)
  • 2 Hammer Gels (180 calories/80mg sodium)
  • 1 cup soup broth
  • Pepsi starting around the 30km mark
  • Heed in cups from the beginning of the run
  • 6 salt tabs (990mg sodium)
  • water
  • ice
Before I wrote this list, I would have said I fuelled well on the run.  However, looking at it now, I think I under fuelled.  I ate my 6 Power Gels (one every 30-40 minutes) then switched to the Hammer Gels on course but they tasted bad.  Still got 2 of them down but started Pepsi, Heed and water after that.  I just felt like I could not eat another Gel.  Perhaps I would have been better off with chews instead of Gels on the run?

On the way out to OK Falls I employed my run 3km walk 30 seconds rule until I realized I needed fuel at every aid station.  I tried to keep to the 3km/30sec walk but it failed around the 9km mark.  

I walked the aid stations taking in what I could.  In hindsight, I should have kept to a more rigid run/walk schedule to OK Falls.  I felt pretty good but ended up walking when I should have powered through.  

On the run back my quads started to cramp at about 35kms so I walked a bit more.  When I remembered, I focused on my yoga fingers, quicker steps and counting my steps to keep me occupied. The run along Skaha was quieter that I remembered, maybe because the numbers were down for this race.  It seemed like I was out there alone and it was tough to stay in zone.  

Total time:  13:28:30 Right in the middle of my 2009 and 2011 times.  

Overall I felt like the race went well.  I am happy with my time overall as well at my swim and bike given the conditions.  

My run is still my weak point that needs focused attention to improve.














Happy Training!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

|ronman Canada Race Report - Part 6 (Final Report but just the beginning)

Run – 42.2kms – 5:11:09 The run was slow and basically went as planned. The first 3kms of the run are in and around the finish line. When I was at about the 2km mark, I could hear Jordon Rapp, the race winner giving his victory interview with Steve King. How crazy is that??!! I have 40kms to go on the run and the winner has finished. As I headed out of town and down Main Street I saw www.twitter.com/kelownagurl and her husband Erik cheering me on. Not more than 50 feet later I saw www.twitter.com/trifunster and her husband. I was running slowly but had a smile on my face and felt pretty good. I was not really concerned about the distance I had to cover still. I was pretty excited that I had now finished the swim and the bike and was now on the run. It was like being in a dream how quickly the time had passed during the day. Around 9kms into the run I started to feel the distinct tightness of my right IT Band. I had ITB 10 years ago when I first started to run marathons but t

April Fools 1/2 Marathon Plus 15km cool down

After my minor breakdown at work on Friday, I set off on Saturday for Sechelt.  I have run the April Fool's Half Marathon two times and this was my third time.  It never fails to be hilly and hard.   Sunday morning I started off at in Gibsons ready to run to Mission Point Park.  I took it very conservatively knowing that I would be adding another 15kms on at the end of the 'race'.   I crossed the finish line, collected my medal, filled my water bottles, ate a  piece of bagel and a bite of banana and kept running west.   I do not recommend running your longest run before a marathon in Sechelt if you are not used to hills.  That place is full of 12-15% grades both up and down. At the end of the day, I ran from 9:17am - 2pm with a few quick breaks to refill bottles, eat gels and take few rocks out of my shoes.   After a shower and some real food, I was back on the ferry to North Vancouver.  Reward:  White Spot Legendary Burger combo with cheese and a Coke.  

How Not to Pace a 5km Race

Notice anything interesting about my 5km splits for my Las Vegas 5km run? Even though the 1st km was all downhill, I knew I was in trouble when I checked my Garmin 405 to see a 4:20 km time. As you can see, the rest of my kms were quite a bit slower. Any good advice out there for how to properly pace myself for my next 5km?